Skip to main content

this isn't what I meant to write about but whatever

I didn't finish Sigyn. I didn't finish the pirate socks. The Jade hat is still in time-out. I didn't even work on Sahara to Selbu (or the other way around), though I did think about whether I should try to do something about the length error I made on the sleeve.

There's no way I'm going to reknit the whole sleeve for a half-inch error just above the cuff. Maybe I could snip it and remove the cuff, then rework it down, removing the affronting four rows. I think I will do the body the way it's written, then attach the sleeve, and make my decision at that point. It's just that the sweater's dimensions are already on the large side. I'm doing the smaller of two sizes, and it's supposed to come out 24 inches long. I have often shortened sweaters designed for that length to be closer to 20 inches, because I'm only 5'3". It's hard to tell from the "artistic" (Ed referred to it as Allanah Myles-like, but I bet the Norse photographer doesn't remember her) pose of the photo how long the sweater is.

I'll probably be more enthusiastic about finishing it when it's September and I can envision wearing it. Which means that I'll probably finish it in the spring of 2007, when I need to finish something to get a "finishing point" so I can buy more yarn.

Speaking of buying more yarn, I'm thinking I shouldn't. I was going to go on a yarn diet (did I ever mention I have yarn bulimia? No offense to people or people with friends with food bulimia) until I finished 19 projects. But that strikes me as wholly unrealistic. So I made a compromise: I won't buy yarn until I finish 7 projects, then I will buy one project. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat again.

So, 21 projects out, three in.

I started the Prairie Tunic from IK Spring 2006. Fathom just abandoned it, but I'm doing well. Apparently there's an error, though I didn't find it when I read the pattern. I think I don't notice errors that other people are stymied b y because I'm not sure I follow the pattern. However, I am lost without a good picture.

I'm using Tocatta in Cyclamen that I bought from Elann last month. Part of a March-long yarn binge. Ugh.

That will be one... then the socks and Sigyn... and four more, and I can buy more yarn!

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: August 2023

"The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. I got it for Christmas. It was delightful, even if maybe some stuff wasn't explained completely. Or maybe that's part of why it was delightful.  "Crucial conversations" By Joseph Grenny and three other old white men. Another office book club selection. The word "candor" comes up a lot. I really resented this book.  LHC #220: "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. There was a girl at my previous company who wanted to have an office book club, and she had this book on her desk for months and months. I can totally understand this. I found portions crazy stressful to read. Like, I would be skipping ahead to see how much more in the section, could I get through it, pacing around, etc. I wanted to know how it ended, sure, but I was having weird stress dreams and stuff. If it wasn't a library book I might not have finished it at all. It was such a relief when Boris showed up again and something happened. I di

In Progress -- July 2023

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Still n eed to take up comments and revise.  Persephone  (probably not its real name): Nothing but thoughts.  Short Stories:  As I mentioned last month I had a dish-washing epiphany on a story that wasn't going well. I'd already changed the POV character, but I knew that wasn't enough because I had no ending. It has an ending now.  Critted  4  Got back  0    I really need to post something new. Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   1 Knitting Tay Tartan cardigan  (Martin Storey). Finally finished the danglers and minor seaming and chose buttons, then had to wait to block because the space I normally block in needed to be cleared, and this would be very disruptive to my work, so I waited to block it for the night before I went on vacation. It would appear that the finishing of this sweater took 4 months, which may be a new record. It fits for the most part. Yay!  Cathar  (self). Started the month just about done with the body edging.