Skip to main content

"The Summer Tree" by Guy Gavriel Kay

Why I read it: The last GGK I read was such a disappointment, I wanted to see if he was really as good as I remembered. I've read this before, but it was at least 15 years ago.

Bookmark: Hard cover flap

Tastes like chicken: What I most strongly remember about this series from before is that it is definitely derivative. It feels like the sort of thing some well-educated person would write who wanted to write a best-selling fantasy novel (full disclosure: I have a draft around the house that is titled "Best-Selling Fantasy Novel", BSFN for short) would write.

There are dwarves, elves (lios alfar), orcs or dark elves(svart alfar), an unkillable evil, interventions from gods, an old king with two sons who have quite the rivalry, a neighbouring king with a stunningly beautiful daughter (people are never plain in a BSFN, are they?), wizards but not too many, various competing systems of magic... I remember it getting even more derivative as the series progressed. I'm sure I'll find out.

What I liked: One thing was that the characters had back-story. Another thing was, the story involves five people from Toronto being magically transported into a different realm, Fionavar. But who cares about that? I liked all the Toronto shout-outs -- philosopher's walk, UofT, Bloor St., etc. I am so shallow that way.

What I hated: Too many made-up words (why call the elves lios alfar? why call the orcs or dark elves svart alfar? Obviously it was just to confuse me...) Too many named characters. I really liked what Kate Elliot did, naming characters as the POV would name them -- shorter, taller, loud guy, etc., rather than names. It really helped me not need to consult a glossary. Glossaries are pompous and annoying.

Some of the sentences seemed too long with too many commas. I think that was a stylistic decision, by design. He was going for a mythic feel, like Tolkien did... These sections would probably sound great when read out loud. Unfortunately, I read this book in my head, and the sentences just confused me and slowed me down.

Lessons learned: I really liked what I think of as the "untapped possibilities", the immediate foreshadowing that starts a lot of sections. These are little statements of "if things had gone differently, they would have died right there." And then you read the section, finding out how much worse it could have gone. It diffuses the stress and makes the story seem more mythic. And interestingly enough, the same sections seemed so awful in "Ysabel", set in the present day.

I would like to try that technique in a story somewhere, and see if it works for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: August 2023

"The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. I got it for Christmas. It was delightful, even if maybe some stuff wasn't explained completely. Or maybe that's part of why it was delightful.  "Crucial conversations" By Joseph Grenny and three other old white men. Another office book club selection. The word "candor" comes up a lot. I really resented this book.  LHC #220: "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. There was a girl at my previous company who wanted to have an office book club, and she had this book on her desk for months and months. I can totally understand this. I found portions crazy stressful to read. Like, I would be skipping ahead to see how much more in the section, could I get through it, pacing around, etc. I wanted to know how it ended, sure, but I was having weird stress dreams and stuff. If it wasn't a library book I might not have finished it at all. It was such a relief when Boris showed up again and something happened. I di

What I read: March, 2010

"The Man from St. Petersburg" Ken Follett. Oh. My. God. I read it because we had two copies lying around. Ick. This book made me feel dirty. I made some negative comment about this book to my sister, who repled "I've read every book he's ever written." I think she's mad at me now. This book was all tell, no show. There was no tension. The sex was funny. It reminded me of my dad's novel. It seemed well-researched, from what I can tell. When my friend said that of my karate-zombie novel, I took it as damning with faint praise, so there you go. There was no female character with whom I could identify. Or male character, for that matter. I don't need a woman to be a role model. I really strongly disliked this book. "Wanderlust" Rebecca Solnit. I'd come across her name in a discussion of the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, and came across this when I was looking for her other book on the TPL website. As walking is an integral part o