Skip to main content

Five random thoughts make a post...

So we'll see how I do.
  1. The boy was casting about for a book to read a few evenings ago, so I gave him a pile of things he hadn't read before. He asked which I recommended, so I pulled out Uninvited by Justine Musk. He read it. He liked it. He said he thinks there ought to be a sequel.
  2. Rachael Ray should be paying me a commission. I have raved about my RR meals so much that two of the people who sit in my area at work have bought a RR book in the last month.
  3. Last night I went through my giant filing cabinet. My god, I have a lot of first drafts that have never seen eyeballs again. I had come up with the crazy idea that I should apply to Viable Paradise, so I was looking for something to brush up and send in. My brain had fixated on one particular story, which I never found (however, I did find the stocks I was looking for about three years ago). I guess when you write a page per day for 15 years, that piles up. Ugh.
  4. A lot of the books I read come from the library. Unfortunately, a lot of the books I want to read are only at the Merrill Collection, which is part of the TPL group of libraries. I gather the Merrill Collection is a fabulous and world-famous thing. It has tons of rare and obscure SF titles. Unfortunately, when I look in the catalog online and I see something is in the Merrill Collection, I can't place a hold on a book there. You can't take books out of the Merrill Collection. I guess that's to protect its completeness. Apparently, you can go down to the branch that houses the Merrill Collection, and go in and read the books there, but you can't take them out. I don't know. I've never seen it. One time, a long time ago, I went down to that branch (it's near the UofT campus). It might have been when I lived in the downtown core, or maybe one day when I was trapped downtown. But I didn't actually see the Merrill Collection. I can't remember if it had different hours than the rest of the branch, or if it was open. But in order to access it, you had to go through a different door, and I think I was intimidated. It seems like hoarding to me.
  5. Why is it always apples that are magical in stories? I'm pretty sure these clementines are more magicker. And that's only partly because they're seedless.

Wow, I've got nothing.

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: August 2023

"The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. I got it for Christmas. It was delightful, even if maybe some stuff wasn't explained completely. Or maybe that's part of why it was delightful.  "Crucial conversations" By Joseph Grenny and three other old white men. Another office book club selection. The word "candor" comes up a lot. I really resented this book.  LHC #220: "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. There was a girl at my previous company who wanted to have an office book club, and she had this book on her desk for months and months. I can totally understand this. I found portions crazy stressful to read. Like, I would be skipping ahead to see how much more in the section, could I get through it, pacing around, etc. I wanted to know how it ended, sure, but I was having weird stress dreams and stuff. If it wasn't a library book I might not have finished it at all. It was such a relief when Boris showed up again and something happened. I di

What I read: March, 2010

"The Man from St. Petersburg" Ken Follett. Oh. My. God. I read it because we had two copies lying around. Ick. This book made me feel dirty. I made some negative comment about this book to my sister, who repled "I've read every book he's ever written." I think she's mad at me now. This book was all tell, no show. There was no tension. The sex was funny. It reminded me of my dad's novel. It seemed well-researched, from what I can tell. When my friend said that of my karate-zombie novel, I took it as damning with faint praise, so there you go. There was no female character with whom I could identify. Or male character, for that matter. I don't need a woman to be a role model. I really strongly disliked this book. "Wanderlust" Rebecca Solnit. I'd come across her name in a discussion of the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, and came across this when I was looking for her other book on the TPL website. As walking is an integral part o