Skip to main content

In process: Jan 2011

First Draft

“Imp Face”. Short story, about 5000 words. Because if I don’t mine my family history, someone else will...
“In a Nutshell”. Four hand-written pages of a start that I add to the thousand words I wrote last year.

Editing

"The Rabbits". Short story; working on 3rd draft. It’s down about 3500 words.
Karate Zombies. Still percolating on rewriting the first chapter. This post http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/10/all-important-first-chapter.html is making me worry.
“Bezoar”. Read it, revised it, read the comments I got on it last August (why is this so hard for me?) Though it’s funny what I did. I’d read the comments initially when I printed them out. Then I guess I let them process for four or five months, then implemented most of them, then read them and got to feel self-satisfied. It’s a better story now than it was before. Good enough? I don’t know. But it’s better than it was before. One more draft, I think, and it might be done.

Ignoring

“Succubus”. Short story; working on 2nd draft
Troll.
Apophis.
Working on third draft
Pampelmouse.
“Dowsing”.
I want to try something different with this one – retype it, with the theme that I forgot overlaid on every line.

Being reviewed

Nothing. Doesn’t bode well for having something to ship out in February, does it?

Knitting

Morrigan. Started the first sleeve again. 1”.
Anhinga. Took apart front to reseam, took off first sleeve and made cap taller. Finished second sleeve. Realized the problem with the front was even greater than I’d thought, took it off and did it again. Working on neck and seaming, and it will be done.
Ed's socks. Finished!
Doubleknit Fair Isle shawl. Started, got into trouble reading the charts. Among other things, I had completely ignored the first row of the colorwork. Don’t know what I was thinking! Started again, got the first three stripes done. It will be my focus project when Anhinga is done.
Doubleknit ski band. Start to finish! Started, in order to get a handle on reading doubleknit charts. Got about halfway through and realized I’d totally done it wrong and no way was this little thing going to fit around my head. Had to rip back to the ribbing.

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: August 2023

"The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. I got it for Christmas. It was delightful, even if maybe some stuff wasn't explained completely. Or maybe that's part of why it was delightful.  "Crucial conversations" By Joseph Grenny and three other old white men. Another office book club selection. The word "candor" comes up a lot. I really resented this book.  LHC #220: "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. There was a girl at my previous company who wanted to have an office book club, and she had this book on her desk for months and months. I can totally understand this. I found portions crazy stressful to read. Like, I would be skipping ahead to see how much more in the section, could I get through it, pacing around, etc. I wanted to know how it ended, sure, but I was having weird stress dreams and stuff. If it wasn't a library book I might not have finished it at all. It was such a relief when Boris showed up again and something happened. I di

What I read: March, 2010

"The Man from St. Petersburg" Ken Follett. Oh. My. God. I read it because we had two copies lying around. Ick. This book made me feel dirty. I made some negative comment about this book to my sister, who repled "I've read every book he's ever written." I think she's mad at me now. This book was all tell, no show. There was no tension. The sex was funny. It reminded me of my dad's novel. It seemed well-researched, from what I can tell. When my friend said that of my karate-zombie novel, I took it as damning with faint praise, so there you go. There was no female character with whom I could identify. Or male character, for that matter. I don't need a woman to be a role model. I really strongly disliked this book. "Wanderlust" Rebecca Solnit. I'd come across her name in a discussion of the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, and came across this when I was looking for her other book on the TPL website. As walking is an integral part o