Skip to main content

In process -- December 2016



1st draft
More Writing Excuses!
 
Editing

“Rabbits”. Fixed that descent into madness thing. I really like the idea of this story, but it needs so much work!
“The Magician’s Ex-Apprentice”. Typed. 2nd draft: removed repetitive crap and implemented marginalia. This cut maybe 700 words out of the story which never should have been 5500 words in the first place.
“Vulgar Pony”. Typed and commented on the bad intro. Seems I have learned some things.
“Wind/Water/Salt”. I wanted something to put on OWW serially and this seemed the best choice, so I went over the first three chapters and posted the first one so far.

You see how I have a lot of projects here? It’s a problem. I constantly switch stories in and out of “active” state, and I don’t necessarily think that for me at this point in my life this is a bad process. But. I spend far too much time looking for things, trying to figure out which is the last draft I was working on, whether I’ve printed off a new draft. And since I back up all my drafts on my computers, the paper isn’t even necessary once I’m done with it. So I’m working on a system that involves a notebook where I collate information on everything, plus a more rigorous filing system with a tidier workspace. There’s nothing inspirational about having sheets of paper everywhere.

There might be a general clutter problem, beyond just the writing. I need to have less yarn.

Connecting
Critted 6
Got back 2

Circulating
1

Knitting
Ann Boleyn (1998).  Finally finished that first sleeve. I started the second one, but got maybe 7 rows in, which is good because it’s a start. I’d really like to finish the second one in January.
Gift. Finished.
Mittens (for me!). Finished.
Cecile (Louisa Harding). Finished.
Okracoke cardigan (Shirley Paden). Started as a carry-around because it looked reasonable to keep track of, a little more interesting than boring sleeves, and somewhat portable. I’ve got about 3 inches of back. After the first pattern repeat I noticed that, much like when I knit Morrigan’s sleeves several years ago, on the reverse side I twist the twists the wrong way and it’s not as crisp as it could be. But I decided not to start over this time, because really, if you’re looking that hard at the bottom of the back of my sweater, what’s wrong with you!
Shorts (knitting lingerie style by Joan McGowan-Michael). Second time knitting these, wrote down my pattern alterations this time. I’ve done about an inch.
I also sewed a jumper.

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: August 2023

"The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. I got it for Christmas. It was delightful, even if maybe some stuff wasn't explained completely. Or maybe that's part of why it was delightful.  "Crucial conversations" By Joseph Grenny and three other old white men. Another office book club selection. The word "candor" comes up a lot. I really resented this book.  LHC #220: "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. There was a girl at my previous company who wanted to have an office book club, and she had this book on her desk for months and months. I can totally understand this. I found portions crazy stressful to read. Like, I would be skipping ahead to see how much more in the section, could I get through it, pacing around, etc. I wanted to know how it ended, sure, but I was having weird stress dreams and stuff. If it wasn't a library book I might not have finished it at all. It was such a relief when Boris showed up again and something happened. I di

What I read: March, 2010

"The Man from St. Petersburg" Ken Follett. Oh. My. God. I read it because we had two copies lying around. Ick. This book made me feel dirty. I made some negative comment about this book to my sister, who repled "I've read every book he's ever written." I think she's mad at me now. This book was all tell, no show. There was no tension. The sex was funny. It reminded me of my dad's novel. It seemed well-researched, from what I can tell. When my friend said that of my karate-zombie novel, I took it as damning with faint praise, so there you go. There was no female character with whom I could identify. Or male character, for that matter. I don't need a woman to be a role model. I really strongly disliked this book. "Wanderlust" Rebecca Solnit. I'd come across her name in a discussion of the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, and came across this when I was looking for her other book on the TPL website. As walking is an integral part o